Join us as we wrap up this week’s activity behind the hoardings of the UK’s construction industry, showcasing the wealth of opportunity it has to offer.
Open Doors, run by Build UK, gives you the chance to go behind the scenes and explore the varied and diverse career opportunities available in construction. This year, over 200 sites and events were listed across the UK. Whether you’re a student, school leaver, careers advisor or looking to change your career, UK Open Doors Week offers you the chance to uncover how the buildings that shape your community are built and the people behind them.
Don’t forget to sign up to receive Copper news so you’re first in the know about other upcoming industry events, and opportunities for enhancing diversity in UK construction.
With contractors such as Bouygues, Mace, ISG, Kier and Wilmott Dixon opening their doors, the week was set to be a success. Check out our wrap up of the coolest and most interesting activity taking place throughout UK Open Doors Week 2021:
- Shakespeare North Playhouse hosts Kier’s launch event:
- HS2 Site Engineer, Diana Nahle, gives us a tour of the Victoria Road Crossover Box:
- BAM welcomes the public at Exmouth Community College:
Today we visited Exmouth Community College and were hosted by @BAMConstructUK and Site Manager Chris.
Thank you for the warm welcome and fascinating insight! pic.twitter.com/AMrZDmKByB
— Build UK (@BuildUK) October 4, 2021
- Family owned construction firm, Wates, opened their doors across 12 sites:
First @WatesGroup Construction NE region #OpenDoors visit at Throstle Rec, Leeds. Thanks to Mark and James for being such wonderful hosts – inspiring Insight talk and behind-the-hoardings site tour. We’ve had some amazing feedback @OpenDoorsWeek #loveconstruction pic.twitter.com/PYVFBitwtn
— Mina_CSR (@dye_sharp) October 6, 2021
Really wonderful to talk to students at #WhitworthHighSchool for @OpenDoorsWeek @WatesGroup
Thank you Dave & Jack for the inspiration talk and insight to the Build. #OpenDoors #WatesEducation @Engineering_SES @educationgovuk pic.twitter.com/tJt29PAEwK
— Angie (@AngiEardley) October 5, 2021
- Sofia from Bouygues provides advice on smashing stereotypes and breaking the mould within the construction industry:
Sofia shares her story about smashing stereotypes and breaking the mould as a #WomanInConstruction.
— The Careers & Enterprise Company (@CareerEnt) October 6, 2021
- VolkerRail opened their doors giving students the chance to learn about the specialist plant needed to carry out their type of work:
Today students visited our Plant depot in Scunthorpe, as part of #OpenDoors21, where they had the chance to learn about our specialist plant and the type of work we undertake, as well as finding out what careers options are available in the industry. #Cando #Loveconstruction pic.twitter.com/UiSjQLQtI8
— VolkerRail (@VolkerRailUK) October 6, 2021
- Tilbury Douglas share their insight on why it’s great to work in the construction industry:
To mark @OpenDoorsWeek we are proud to share this video in which some of our colleagues explain why they enjoy working in construction. They also provide advice on the different routes into the sector!
— Tilbury Douglas (@Tilbury_douglas) October 5, 2021
You can explore more activities hosted by Tilbury Douglas here:
A great start to #Opendoors21 welcoming 40 enthusiastic @OldhamCollege students to @Tilbury_douglas's @saddleworth_sch site.
We hope today's visit helps to guide your career pathway in the #construction industry 👷👷#LoveConstruction #TilburyDouglas #Oldham #Saddleworth pic.twitter.com/oz1IdS3qai
— Tilbury Douglas Construction North West (@TilburyNorth) October 4, 2021
- Multiplex provide breath taking views from floor 31 of River Tower:
A huge thank you to the #Multiplex team for the superb tour of One Nine Elms this afternoon as part of @OpenDoorsWeek – the views of London from floor 31 of the River Tower were spectacular! #loveconstruction pic.twitter.com/bJFPQ7QpdK
— Jo Fautley (@JoFautley) October 5, 2021
- Roberston Group invite the public to take a sneak peak at the state of the art National Robotarium:
- Wilmott Dixon take students behind the hoardings of refurbishment and MMC projects:
- Berkeley Group welcomed students to see first hand the expertise needed to restore an iconic factory building:
Use #OpenDoors21 to catch up on all the action.